Contact me at bfit4life@live.com.au

Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Meaning Behind Numbers....

Aren't numbers a funny thing.  To some people they mean nothing, and to others, like me, they are almost everything.

Each week, I try and extend the distance of my long run by 10%.  I'm trying to get back to a comfortable 2hr run distance following a calf injury about 6 months ago.

This week the plan was set for the full 2 hours.  I decided to run on the treadmill (not my favourite) because last time I did this due to rain the recovery was fantastic.  The downside is that its boring - but I overcome this will TV shows on my ipad, and that I can't run as fast on the treadmill - something to do with my technique.  I have to run by feel, not by speed which means I have to slow down the number of the pace. Never mind, I tell myself - long runs are not about speed, they are about endurance, about how long you turn the legs over for.  In fact, slower is better for building mitochondria.  As long as I do my two hours, the pace doesnt matter.

Except after 30 mins my calf was aching/tired, and I was worried about re-injuring.  So I walked for about 5 mins, and then discovered if I slowed my pace even further, it didn't hurt.  No matter - it doesn't matter how far I go in the 2 hours, it doesn't matter how fast, as long as I run the 2 hours.

Then I was interrupted by a visitor looking for hubby.  Had to get off the treadmill, run and find him, and 10 mins later get back on.  At about the 1hr30 mark I realised the treadmill was showing a different time to my watch - and then realised that the watch was out because of the interruption.  Have to go by the time on the treadmill.  No probs.  Except then I knocked the treadmill and the timer re-set.  Grrr. restart.  How many minutes had I done?  Exactly?  And then I noticed I hadn't worn my pedometer, so my watch wasn't recording distance either (to upload my workout to my computee, it was only recording time, which we've already established was wrong). I ran another half hour, cause I knew I had seen some time frame after 1 hr 30, but what exactly I didn't know.

And now, at the end of the run, I feel totally disatisfied with my achievement.  Even though in my mind, I know I must have run at least 2hrs, even though I watched an episode of the Mentalist (45 mins) and episode of the Good Wife (45 mins), and 30 mins of another episode (totalling 2hrs) - not having a solid record - a number in front of me that I can record, leaves me feeling disatisfied and almost cheated. Even though my legs are aching and telling me that I've challenged them, its not the same.   Yes, I know, some people wont relate to this at all, but for me, it appears, everything is about the numbers!  Are you a numbers person?  Do you need them to be motivated or pushed?

I hope you like these numbers better!

Week 6 Results

1st Place - Kel D - 1.54% 
2nd Place - Sarah U - 1.11%
3rd Place - Maree C - 0.89%

Overall
1st Place - Kel D - 14.01%
2nd Place - Julie R - 7.68%
3rd Place - Sophie T - 7.33%


Well done girls.  You have some close challengers though - so stay on track over Easter!

No comments: