Contact me at bfit4life@live.com.au

Monday, May 20, 2013

Dont Run to Get Fit...

A controversial statement perhaps..... Especially from someone who loves to run!



Here's why
Running can be one of the most glorious exhilirating experiences in your life.  It can be done anywhere you are - you dont need a gym, a special time, or any fancy equipment.  All you need is a pair of shoes, (and as I experiment with barefoot running,  I'm learning you possibly don't even need that).  The photo above is from my trail run on Sunday around Eagle on the Hill I think as we crested the hill, and then thundered down a single track with breath taking views of Adelaide.  The sense of freedom was exhilirating.
And I wish I had taken photos one day as I ran Glenelg beach at twilight, the sun glistening off the water, the sea breeze through my hair.  It was awesome.  Walking shows you wonderful views, but running helps you to experience them in a way that nothing else does.  I want everyone to experience this.

So why am I saying don't run to get fit?  Because a wise saying is

 "Don't run to get fit, get fit to run!" 

I thought about this for a while after a first heard it, and then it dawned on me as to how incredibly wise this is.  Running is of course a high impact activity.  It pounds heavy  impact through your legs with every step and you need to be ready for it.  So many people embark on a fitness campaign, determined to do whatever it takes, and rush out to try and run every day (or something similar) and within a week or two injure themselves, become despondent and dejected and give up.

Building fitness is like building a house - you need the foundation first, then the structured walls, then the roof etc,  Put the roof on first and everything collapses - its a house of cards.  You need to build a solid base of fitness first to enable you to take on higher impact activities like running. In your quest for fitness, you can of course use running, but it needs to be in moderation, at a slow pace,  and broken up with intervals and rest, and combined with many other options.  This applies to far more than just running of course.  When you decide to get fit, you need to develop a sensible exercise plan that gives you enough rest to recovery, varies the demand on your body, and it doesn't need to all be at high intensity,. Alternate high intensity days (eg a cardio session) with low intensity - like walking. It needs to be at a level that you can continue with for ever, and when its comfortable - up the ante.

So a new goal might be -" to be fit enough to run". To be fit enough to run and enjoy the amazing experiences I have described, and live to tell the tales.



(NB: of course if you want help with this, book in for a Fitness Consult and  I can help you set up an exercise schedule)




No comments: